Monday, January 25, 2010

My Favourite Part Of The Day

When Vaughn wakes up at 5:00 or 5:30, it's my favourite part of the day.  He's always happy, and after I feed him, he just lays there and lets me cuddle him while he smiles and coos at me and most often drifts back to sleep.  I too fall back asleep rocking him.  It's a special time and everyday I cherish it.

Then Vaughn gets up at around 7:00 and I think that becomes my favourite part of the day.  I feed Vaughn his breakfast and then he explores his world still in his sleeper.  He is so full of curiousity and so happy.  It is so amazing to watch this little person we made crawling, pulling himself up and figuring out how things work.

When Vaughn has his nap at around 9-9:30 that's totally my favourite part of the day.  This is a long nap for him so I can either take a little sleep myself or get stuff done.  I usually make some baby food, have a shower and plan the rest of the day.  I love that I can make all of Vaughn's food (except his iron-fortified cereal) and grateful that he doesn't seem to have any allergies or pickiness thus far.

My babe gets up a few hours later and it becomes the favourite part of my day.  This is usually where we go out and do something together.  It could be visiting with friends, go to our baby group, shopping, whatever.  It's so important to us that Vaughn is well socialized, and a big part of that is making sure that he meets lots of new people and is put into new situations as often as possible.  So far, he has yet to make strange and seems to crave social interaction.  I am so proud of my baby and how he handles himself when we're out and about.

Since Vaughn has his afternoon nap while we're out or on the way home, when we get back, it's go go go again.  However, he's a little more tired and needs more of my attention, thus becoming (you guessed it) the favourite part of my day.  You see, Vaughn is becoming more independent and quite a little explorer.  He doesn't need me as much, but later in the day, he's not as well balanced, is a little more reckless and has a few more bumps and whoopsies.  Mostly, I just let him sort himself out because I know he's not really hurt.  But then there are times when he cracks his head into the patio door window and then I know it's a big owie.  He needs his mommy for comfort.  A little kiss to make it better and then he's back on his way crawling all over everything again.  

A little bit of supper, jammies and then in bed by 5:30 and that is for sure my favourite part of the day!  By this time of the day, we're both ready to not see each other for a while.  Vaughn is so busy now and I need a little time to relax before I have to get dinner ready and he needs to recharge so he can do all this over again.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that with my return to the work world coming much sooner than I thought it would, I've realized I have to cherish every single moment I have with my baby.  When I first left to go on maternity leave, a year seemed like such a long time.  Now, it's been 9 1/2 months since I've left and I have no idea where the time went.

I love that little baby more than I could have ever imagined loving someone, and every moment I spend with him is the favourite part of my day.

  

2 comments:

  1. i am very very teary as I read this... you look great embracing motherhood.... - julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children are such blessings and such little joys! Thanks for sharing your joy with us

    ReplyDelete